Uber’s secret, “proprietary” insurance policy leaked

(164)
A screenshot of Uber's insurance filings.

An anonymous leaker emailed Uber’s previously secreted, hidden insurance plans to the Bay Guardian and a number of taxi industry advocates over the weekend, and who is and who is not insured by Uber may give riders cause for worry.

The insurance policy describes exclusions, limits, and explicit descriptions of who is insured, all details that evaded the public, the taxi industry, and some regulatory bodies trying to investigate Uber and its insurance coverage.

Uber confirmed with the Guardian that the leaked policy was legitimate, but did not directly answer our questions about the consequences of it being leaked.

William Rouse, general manager of Los Angeles Yellow Cab and a former president of the Taxicab Association, said the insurance document raised some troubling questions.

The first problem lies in a semantics game the company may use to distance itself from paying out insurance, he said. “Uber is insuring through Rasier LLC, but contractually drivers contract with Uber. They state in the policy that it kicks in only when Raiser is liable. What we have here is a shell game. Who is Rasier?”

Uber is the parent company of Rasier, Andrew Noyes, an Uber spokesperson, told us. But how listing Rasier versus Uber as the main insurance carrier will affect insurance claims down the road remains to be seen.

Exclusions in the policy are many, such as one for the “movement of property by mechanical device.”

It states: “‘Bodily injury’ or ‘property damage’ resulting from the movement of property by a mechanical device (other than a hand truck) unless the device is attached to the covered ‘auto’” is excluded from coverage. Spokesperson Andrew Noyes said this exclusion deals with unloading and offloading of material from a vehicle via a pallet jack or forklift.

One wonders what exclusion Uber used to argue against insurance payment in an incident last year, when a driver using Uber drove into a fire hydrant, which flew 81 feet down Divisadero and landed on a woman named Claire Fahrbach. The resulting geyser flooded several nearby businesses. Fahrbach is suing Uber for medical coverage, litigation that is still ongoing.

Many revelations from the document are sure to come, and the Guardian will seek analysis from insurance industry experts on the leaked document.

hydrant

Uber’s insurance practices came under sharp investigation after the New Year’s Eve death of six year old Sofia Liu, who died after a collision with a car driven by a driver who had been using the Uber app.

“We have not made the policy — in its entirety — public,” Noyes wrote to us. But now that Uber’s insurance policy is released, advocates and the public can openly discuss the legitimacy and reach of Uber’s insurance.

San Francisco. New York. Seattle. Cities and states across the country are grappling to regulate the so called rideshare companies, known legally as Transportation Network Companies, such as Uber, Sidecar and Lyft.

The municipalities grappled with many questions: who pays the medical bills, the fees to repair or replace damaged autos, or pay for the damage to property in an car accidents with Uber vehicles? A number of lawsuits filed against Uber so far show that the company has been unwilling to pick up the tab.

At a state insurance hearing in Sacramento last week, the personal automobile insurance industry blasted Uber for shifting some insurance liability onto its drivers’ personal insurance policies.

“It is well documented and publicized that the business model does attempt to shift the cost and the risk to the drivers personal auto insurance,” said Armand Feliciano, the vice president of the Association of California Insurance Companies. But personal insurance is not for people driving what is essentially a taxi cab, he said.

“The risks are fundamentally different,” Feliciano said to the state insurance commissioner. Rideshare companies need to “step up and be the insurers of their drivers. That’s the right policy decision.”

Uber has repeatedly stated they do not want their insurance policy revealed to the public.

“We have spent a great deal of time and effort acquiring this policy and do not share it publicly for competitive reasons,” Noyes told the Seattle Times earlier this month.

When we repeatedly asked him if it was troubling to Uber that their insurance policy was leaked, despite public affirmations that it remain private, Noyes wrote to us "not sure what you mean."

The California Public Utilities Commission directly regulates rideshares, or Transportation Network Companies, is one of the few regulatory bodies to have a copy of the policy, but so far it has declined to distribute it openly.

We contacted the CPUC for clarification as to why they withheld the documents, but they asked for more time to get back to us, and did not reply before press time.

Now that’s changed. We’re embedding Uber’s insurance policy below. If you have any analysis, tips or concerns, please email us at news@sfbg.com

Leaked Uber Insurance Policy by FitztheReporter

Comments

and to the SFBG for publishing it.

Now, on to the dispassionate analysis from the insurance experts.

Keep up the pressure. Make the CPUC do its job to insure that these taxicab companies compete on a level playing field with their competitors while adequately protecting their contractor/employees, customers and the general public.

The "sharing economy" is a scam. The so-called disruption is mostly to public safety and worker and consumer rights.

Posted by Guest on Mar. 24, 2014 @ 8:56 pm

The "Sharing Economy" is here to stay...

The old school "Consumption Economy" is headed the way of the Dodo Bird and Dinosaurs...just like Coal Fired Power Plants, Huge Over-priced Utilities and The Big 3 Automakers if they don't get their #$%# together quick.

LESS people are buying cars (per person basis)...Companies like Zipcar (owned by AVIS) and IGo car sharing are already out there and have proven that people will use them for YEARS before any of the Ride Share companies.

This is simply the next evolution.

Open Airplane allows pilots to rent planes inexpensively, since most private pilots can't afford their own airplane. The insurance companies agreed to make this work.

Bike Shares are popping up in cities around the country...and around the world.

High End Cameras, fancy watches, Power Drills, chain saws, things that people simply don't use every day. (Unless you're in the trades, how often does anyone really use a drill?)

Solar Panels that supply electricity back to the grid "share" electricity back to the grid thanks to "Solar City".

It's coming people...it's already here, in fact...they just need to get a few details ironed out and it will change the entire world.

Welcome to the future.

Posted by Guest on May. 16, 2014 @ 11:25 pm

When I rent out my couch using Airbnb or hire a Uber car to go across town, there's no "sharing" involved. It's a simple monetary transaction. "Sharing" is when my neighbor borrows my lawnmower (for free) or when I borrow a neighbors car (for free) to make a Costco run or when a friend stays on my couch for a few days (for free).

We know "sharing" sounds so innocent and positive, but it's just marketing spin. Only fools or shills like Mayor Lee use the term "sharing economy" to describe these monetary transactions. Everyone else with half a brain understands these are renting/leasing/service for hire activities. All the marketing spin in the world doesn't change the nature of these paid economic transactions between unrelated third parties.

Posted by Guest on Jun. 25, 2014 @ 6:16 pm

reverse cell phone lookup What i do not understood
is in fact how you’re now not actually a lot more
smartly-appreciated than you might be now. You are so intelligent.
You understand therefore significantly on the subject of this
matter, produced me in my view consider it from numerous various angles.

Its like men and women don’t seem to be fascinated unless
it is something to do with Woman gaga! Your individual stuffs excellent.
Always deal with it up! reverse cell phone lookup

Posted by reverse cell phone lookup on Jul. 17, 2014 @ 9:34 pm

reverse phone lookup Ok mindreader get out of my
head. I’ve been doing a lot of swnieg lately which means
that I get to retreat upstairs and watch whatever the heck I want to watch
without having any interjections from the husband.
So, I watch the same damn movies over and over and over. Sometimes if I’m not done
with my swnieg but don’t have enough to watch an entire new movie I’ll rewind the movie and watch the second half again.
I was going to write my Sunday Salon post about comfort
movies versus comfort books but figured maybe I’d just do a post later (ya right) about
comfort movies. Anyway, all that to say I
don’t re-read books often there are several I’d LOVE to, but
there’s too many other books I want to read for the first time first.
But movies? I could watch the same damn movies over and
over and over and over ad nauseum. Drives my husband CRAZY.
reverse phone lookup

Posted by reverse phone lookup on Jul. 29, 2014 @ 12:33 am

reverse phone lookup I just wanted to write down a quick word so as to appreciate you for the unique
techniques you are showing on this site. My extended internet research has at the end of the day been rewarded with beneficial knowledge to share with my
friends. I ‘d assert that we website visitors actually are undeniably lucky to dwell in a perfect network with very many perfect people with beneficial suggestions.
I feel quite blessed to have encountered your entire web pages and look forward to tons of more thrilling times reading here.
Thanks once more for a lot of things. reverse phone lookup

Posted by reverse phone lookup on Jul. 29, 2014 @ 3:37 am

reverse phone lookup Throughout the awesome design of things you actually secure an A
just for effort and hard work. Where you confused me ended up being in your facts.
You know, people say, the devil is in the details… And that couldn’t be much more correct here.
Having said that, let me tell you just what did give good
results. The article (parts of it) is certainly highly convincing and this is most likely the reason why
I am taking the effort in order to comment. I do not make it a regular habit of doing that.
Next, while I can see the leaps in logic you make,
I am not sure of just how you appear to connect the ideas which
inturn produce the conclusion. For now I will
yield to your point however wish in the foreseeable
future you connect your dots much better.
reverse phone lookup

Posted by reverse phone lookup on Jul. 29, 2014 @ 10:47 am

reverse phone lookup Hello, I discovered this page by mistake when looking on The search engines and then I came to your page.

I’m compelled to tell you that your site is truly fantastic I certainly like
your design! At this time I have a whole lot of totally free time to go via your webpage so
I saved it. I will probably be back soon sufficient.
Congrats for this fantastic website. reverse phone lookup

Posted by reverse phone lookup on Jul. 29, 2014 @ 7:25 am

siding with insurance scum bags.

Posted by Guest on Mar. 24, 2014 @ 11:01 pm

trying to implicate "progressives" (not even sure what the term means when it's tossed out willy nilly by internet trolls) is completely ridic.

Posted by Shannon on Mar. 25, 2014 @ 12:11 pm

monopoly, or some specially favor group like yellow cab drivers.

Then they love monopolies and fight any competition to them.

Posted by Guest on Mar. 25, 2014 @ 12:18 pm

reverse phone lookup What’s up all, here every person is sharing such know-how, therefore it?s good to read this
web site, and I used to go to see this blog every day.
reverse phone lookup

Posted by reverse phone lookup on Jul. 29, 2014 @ 6:56 am

reverse phone lookup I know this site offers quality
based articles and extra material, is there any other web page which
provides such things in quality? reverse phone lookup

Posted by reverse phone lookup on Jul. 29, 2014 @ 3:33 pm

reverse phone lookup A fascinating discussion is definitely worth
comment. There’s no doubt that that you ought to write more on this
subject matter, it might not be a taboo matter but generally people do not
discuss such subjects. To the next! All the best!!

reverse phone lookup

Posted by reverse phone lookup on Jul. 29, 2014 @ 2:27 pm

reverse phone lookup I have been exploring for a
little bit for any high-quality articles or weblog posts in this
kind of area . Exploring in Yahoo I eventually stumbled upon this
site. Studying this information So i’m satisfied to show that I’ve a
very good uncanny feeling I found out just what I needed.
reverse phone lookup

Posted by reverse phone lookup on Jul. 29, 2014 @ 3:56 pm

Reverse phone lookup Thanks for this kind of material I had been checking all Msn in order to locate it!
reverse phone lookup

Posted by reverse phone lookup on Jul. 29, 2014 @ 4:17 pm

reverse phone lookup I’ve been exploring for a bit for any high quality
articles or weblog posts on this kind of space . Exploring in Yahoo I finally stumbled upon this web site.
Reading this info So i’m happy to exhibit that I’ve an incredibly
excellent uncanny feeling I came upon exactly what I needed.
I such a lot no doubt will make sure to don’t fail
to remember this website and provides it a look on a relentless
basis. reverse phone lookup

Posted by reverse phone lookup on Jul. 29, 2014 @ 4:43 pm

the insurance it for your safety. where the hell is your common sense???DUUUDE

Posted by Guest on Mar. 25, 2014 @ 3:28 pm

reverse cell phone lookup Wow! This could be one particular of
the most helpful blogs We’ve ever arrive across on this subject.
Basically Excellent. I’m also a specialist
in this topic therefore I can understand your effort.
reverse cell phone lookup

Posted by reverse cell phone lookup on Jul. 17, 2014 @ 8:05 pm

garcinia cambogia side effects My spouse and i got so more than happy Albert managed to do his inquiry from the precious recommendations he grabbed from
your own web pages. It is now and again perplexing just to find yourself freely giving ideas most people may have been making money
from. And we recognize we now have the writer to appreciate for that.
Most of the explanations you have made, the simple website menu, the friendships you aid to create – it is mostly sensational, and it’s assisting our son and the family understand this issue is excellent, which is
particularly mandatory. Many thanks for all! garcinia cambogia side effects

Posted by garcinia cambogia premium on Jul. 23, 2014 @ 10:28 am

Reverse phone lookup I really enjoy reading on this site, it contains
great blog posts. “The secret of eternal youth is arrested development.” by Alice Roosevelt Longworth.
reverse phone lookup

Posted by reverse phone lookup on Jul. 29, 2014 @ 2:32 am

reverse phone lookup Gas heat up in addition to fire wood cooker.
20 or so minutes to help Walmart Property Depot during Houghton Water
or maybe Westbranch. $25, 000. 00. Nike trainers even today express typically the sportsmanship.
Regarding significant in addition to crucial athletics
occurrences, everybody can fully observe a lot of athletics
work outs things to do personalities wearing Nike trainers.

This Nike inspiring creative logo is usually same in principle
for the reason that examine purpose with the tutor, not alone suggests "wind regarding a" not to mention in plain english
unveils any check about movements, and also embodies the
electricity not to mention acceleration regarding activity.
reverse phone lookup

Posted by reverse phone lookup on Jul. 29, 2014 @ 2:29 pm

Really? If you are using your car for commercial purposes....you should have commercial insurance. That is how things are done today. As the general public and us who have their own personal liability insurance, we should not have to pay for people who use their car for commercial purposes. Ridesharing drivers are not really ridesharing...they are acting as a taxi service. Only if they truly werent getting paid for giving someone a ride would it be...ridesharing. In my opinion, there is nothing wrong with the whole concept, however, everybody should be playing under the same rules. These companies have been trying to skirt around the law long enough now. Another issue at hand here is..that in a number of states..it's illegal to be texting, surfing the internet or talking on the phone while driving...I believe these drivers are actually doing just that. (unless somehow you think going on an app while driving does not fall under this catagory). Again, this is just about everybody playing under the same rules. Call is ridesharing, call it being a taxi cab.

Posted by Guest on Mar. 27, 2014 @ 8:15 am

reverse phone lookup Hi, I also desire to share my thoughts at this time,
when i don’t know even about a straightforward thing related to Personal
home pages, I always go to hunt that from web. reverse phone lookup

Posted by reverse phone lookup on Jul. 29, 2014 @ 3:58 am

garcinia cambogia extract not working I lately came across your website and it truly is terrific for my scenario.

It covers marvelous and insightful articles. I studied a good
number of of them and got so much from them. To me, you’re putting in a superb work.
Keep on! I would like to appreciate you for generating a really
fantastic internet site. vitacost garcinia cambogia reviews

Posted by pure garcinia cambogia extract on Jul. 19, 2014 @ 2:13 pm

reverse phone lookup Hiya, I’m definitely glad I’ve
discovered this info. Nowadays bloggers publish just about
gossips and net and this really is in fact annoying.
A very good web site with thrilling content material,
that’s what I need. Thank you for keeping this web-site, I’ll be
visiting it. Do you do newsletters? Can not obtain it.

reverse phone lookup

Posted by reverse phone lookup on Jul. 29, 2014 @ 11:26 am

Have you ever read a policy document before?

Posted by Guest on Mar. 25, 2014 @ 6:08 am

reverse phone lookup I wish to express my thanks to
this writer just for bailing me out of this situation. Right after
looking throughout the the net and finding views
which were not beneficial, I was thinking my entire life was well
over. Existing minus the strategies to the issues
you have solved by way of your entire guide is a serious case, and ones that would have negatively affected my entire career if I had
not come across your site. That training and kindness in playing with all
areas was very helpful. I don’t know what I would’ve done if I hadn’t discovered such a point like this.
I’m able to at this time look ahead to my future.
Thank you very much for your professional and sensible guide.

I will not be reluctant to recommend your web sites to anybody who
wants and needs guidance on this topic. reverse phone lookup

Posted by reverse phone lookup on Jul. 29, 2014 @ 3:10 am

reverse phone lookup I believe that a foreclosure can have a important effect on the debtor’s life.
Foreclosures can have a 7 to 10 years negative effects on a borrower’s credit report.
A borrower who have applied for a mortgage or any loans as an example, knows that your worse credit rating
is actually, the more difficult it is to get a decent mortgage.

In addition, it can affect the borrower’s power to find a really good place to let or hire, if that will become the alternative houses solution.
Good blog post. reverse phone lookup

Posted by reverse phone lookup on Jul. 29, 2014 @ 4:00 am

but why let facts``

Posted by GuestD on Mar. 25, 2014 @ 6:12 am

finding addresses by phone number With havin so much content and articles do you
ever run into any problems of plagorism or copyright violation? My website has a
lot of exclusive content I’ve either written myself or outsourced but it appears a lot of it is popping it
up all over the web without my agreement. Do you know any solutions to help stop content from being stolen?
I’d certainly appreciate it. finding cell phone
numbers for free

Posted by finding cell phone numbers free on Jul. 23, 2014 @ 10:15 am

find phone using number Hi there, You’ve performed a great job.
I will definitely digg it and individually suggest to my friends.
I am sure they’ll be benefited from this web site.
find phone numbers with address

Posted by find reverse phone number for free on Jul. 23, 2014 @ 12:05 pm

get a loan fast Hey there! I’ve been following your web
site for some time now and finally got the courage to go ahead and give you a shout out from Porter Texas!
Just wanted to tell you keep up the good work! payday today loans

Posted by payday loans very bad credit no brokers on Jul. 23, 2014 @ 12:10 pm

reverse phone lookup I have seen loads of useful factors on your web-site about personal computers.
However, I’ve the opinion that notebook computers are still more
or less not powerful adequately to be a good selection if you typically do things that require
lots of power, such as video modifying. But for world-wide-web
surfing, statement processing, and many other common computer
functions they are just great, provided you may
not mind the little screen size. Thanks for sharing your
ideas. reverse phone lookup

Posted by reverse phone lookup on Jul. 29, 2014 @ 4:03 pm

compare this policy with a taxi company's policy and you'll see that the vast majority of exclusions are the same, as they are standard

but why let facts get in the way of some muckraking, right?

and why would Uber argue against insurance coverage in the fire hydrant case? so that they can be deemed bare of coverage and liable themselves?

yawn

Posted by GuestD on Mar. 25, 2014 @ 6:13 am

No. so that they can shift the blame to the driver's insurance. That's the problem. Uber has been putting the burden on drivers to carry the more expensive policies. Too many UberX drivers aren't carrying the required commercial insurance, and when a person gets hurt, the insurance is refusing to pay because the person who is using the vehicle like a rideshare didn't bother to realize that they needed COMMERCIAL insurance and that ridsharing voided their personal insurance policy. It's only going to take one lawsuit of a person getting permanently injured and not well compensated for the regulations to kick in for the new apps. Kind of like how it happened for regulated transportation companies so many years ago (taxis, etc.).

As for taxi insurance policies, you may have a point, but none of the companies would be allowed to register or operate without the minimum required insurance, and it's enforced all the time. All the time. With these apps, it's only enforced when something catastrophic happens.

Posted by Guest on Mar. 25, 2014 @ 9:35 am

and I agree, the whole insurance issue with Uber and other such companies needs to be worked out, and the last I read, it is an issue that is being tackled.

That said, I was under the impression that the driver in the fire hydrant case did have a commercial license and the proper insurance (albeit, the limits might not be high enough to make the victim whole). Whether Uber could be on the hook as well is the intersting question

THAT said, I think Joe's whole train of thought about the insurance exclusions is way off base. For starters, Uber doesn't make the coverage determination, their insurance carrier does. And to pick out one of many built-in policy exclusions, standard in the marketplace, as some type of example that Uber's insurance isn't adequate is just lazy "reporting"

Posted by guestD on Mar. 25, 2014 @ 10:06 am

The column says Uber is the parent company of the insurer, Rasier. So I would have to imagine Uber gets some say in the legalese.

Posted by snapshotist on Mar. 25, 2014 @ 4:48 pm

You can't just pick and choose when you are liable. How many claims are they going to deny? Deflecting liability is all it is. The tax payers will end up stuck with the bill when they choose to deny claims as in the Sophie Lin case

Posted by Guest on Mar. 26, 2014 @ 1:45 am

Taxi insurance is also notably hard to collect from. If the taxi driver isn't at fault, they aren't going to pay squat. It is up to you to sue the other driver in that case. At least Uber carries uninsured/underinsured insurance. Most taxis don't. Even if the taxi driver is at fault, they have the best lawyers and usually get out of paying.

Posted by Guest on Apr. 12, 2014 @ 6:07 pm

garcinia cambogia 60 What i don’t realize is actually
how you are not really much more well-liked than you might be now.
You are very intelligent. You realize therefore considerably
relating to this subject, made me personally consider it from numerous varied angles.
Its like men and women aren’t fascinated unless
it’s one thing to do with Lady gaga! Your own stuffs nice.
Always maintain it up! garcinia cambogia vitamin world

Posted by garcinia cambogia 75 hca on Jul. 04, 2014 @ 5:57 am

reverse phone lookup Perhaps you have performed
1 a lot of computer game or maybe viewed one particular a lot of outdated rebroadcast?
You simply cannot enter into one more secret and you simply
really feel smooth? You may be being affected
by monotony, that will intimate accomaniment to our machine-controlled, precooked
lifestyles. If so, you’ll want to have a look at these kinds of hobby
concepts. Pastimes have been located to become healing while they alleviate stress and get mental performance
dynamic. In this posting, you will find activity suggestions for every single type of human being, from
the intelligent for the player, from your
homemaker towards the law firm. reverse phone lookup

Posted by reverse phone lookup on Jul. 29, 2014 @ 4:13 am

reverse phone lookup Amazing! This blog looks exactly like my old
one! It's on a completely different topic but it has pretty much the same page layout and design. Outstanding choice
of colors! reverse phone lookup

Posted by reverse phone lookup on Jul. 29, 2014 @ 8:26 am

reverse phone lookup You actually make it seem so easy along with your
presentation however I in finding this topic to be actually one thing which I feel
I might by no means understand. It sort of feels too complicated and extremely vast for me.
I am taking a look forward to your subsequent submit, I will try to get the hold of it!
reverse phone lookup

Posted by reverse phone lookup on Jul. 29, 2014 @ 11:55 am

reverse phone lookup 133027 897686magnificent post, extremely informative.
I wonder why the other specialists of this sector do not notice this.
You need to continue your writing. I reverse phone lookup

Posted by reverse phone lookup on Jul. 29, 2014 @ 4:05 pm

reverse phone lookup What’s up, this weekend
is pleasant designed for me, because this time i am reading this fantastic educational paragraph here at
my house. reverse phone lookup

Posted by reverse phone lookup on Jul. 29, 2014 @ 7:59 am

Reverse phone lookup Right here is the right website for
anybody who wants to understand this topic.
You realize a whole lot its almost tough to argue with you (not that I really will need to…HaHa).
You certainly put a brand new spin on a topic that has been discussed for ages.
Wonderful stuff, just great! reverse phone lookup

Posted by reverse phone lookup on Jul. 29, 2014 @ 8:55 am

This person has obviously never read an insurance policy before. How embarrassing!

Posted by Becky Backside on Mar. 25, 2014 @ 6:36 am

Presumably a renter who doesn't own a car and doesn't have health insurance.

winner, winner.

Posted by Guest on Mar. 25, 2014 @ 6:51 am

garcinia cambogia real reviews I have observed that car insurance firms know the motors which are
liable to accidents and also other risks. Additionally , they know what sort of cars are
given to higher risk plus the higher risk they have the higher the actual premium fee.
Understanding the uncomplicated basics associated with car
insurance will assist you to choose the right kind of insurance
policy that will take care of your family needs in case you get involved in an accident.
Thanks for sharing the particular ideas with your blog.
garcinia cambogia reviews yahoo

Posted by garcinia cambogia 30 day trial on Jul. 19, 2014 @ 1:45 pm

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.